Did you know that gratitude journaling can change your life? Check out the proof.
It takes as little as 15 minutes a day, 3 days a week, for at least 2 weeks to see a significant positive impact in your life. And who doesn't want a positive impact on their well-being and relationships?! It can be so easy to overlook the good events and people in our life. Being grateful doesn't make the bad stuff go away, but it does give us hope. It can lead to many positive benefits like sleeping better, increased empathy, higher self-esteem, and better heart health to name a few. It's not a cure-all, but it's certainly worth a try to see if it's something that helps you!
Here are a few general guidelines to get you started:
- Broad is good, but going deep and specific and being descriptive is also a great way to go.
- Focusing on the people and relationships you're thankful for can be more impactful than being only grateful for the things you have.
- Write regularly.
- Think of what life would be like if you didn't have some of the people in it to get those gratitude juices flowing.
And try out of a few of these prompts if you're stuck or need fresh ideas:
- What's an accomplishment that you're proud of?
- What's something that made you laugh out loud this week?
- What do you like about your job?
- List 5 things you love about your home.
- Write about a friend you're grateful for.
- Write about a significant other you're grateful for.
- What's something you're looking forward to?
- How are you able to help others?
- What is something nice another person did for you this week?
- Write 3 things you're grateful for today.
As we near Christmas and the New Year, start off on the right foot with a little gratitude in your life. I know when I've been having a lot of challenges, I'll try to write down some things I'm grateful for in my journal. It's really helped me out of some ruts and have a brighter perspective on my life!
Shameless plug: check out our leather pocket journals for the perfect gratitude journal that can go everywhere with you!